How the process works
This interactive diagram guides you through the newborn metabolic screening process.
- That screening is optional.
- Storing the blood spot samples taken during the screening is also optional.
- Laboratory results are sent to your LMC (Lead Maternity Carer) or your GP
- If a result is positive, another sample is taken and/or your baby is referred for additional diagnostic testing.
- Once screening is finished, leftover bloodspots are either stored or sent back as arranged.
In this section
The blood sample is taken by using a lancet to make a tiny incision in the baby’s heel.
Your Lead Maternity Carer will discuss your baby's test results with you.
Blood for the newborn metabolic screening test is collected on a blood spot card, sometimes known as a 'Guthrie' card
Page last updated: 13 November 2014