Newborn Metabolic Screening Programme Policy Framework June 2011
Thursday, September 8, 2011 - 00:00
The Ministry of Health, in conjunction with clinical and scientific experts, community organisations and other Government agencies has developed new policy and governance arrangements for the Newborn Metabolic Screening Programme.
The Policy Framework formalises the policy for all programme activities and defines:
- overall programme policies and governance
- programme provider responsibilities
- lead maternity carer responsibilities
- laboratory responsibilities
- processes for the return, storage and uses of residual blood spot samples
- requirements for changes to the programme.
There are two key changes to previous Programme policies and procedures. These changes are that:
- governance arrangements have been clearly documented, and the roles and responsibilities between the Ministry of Health, Newborn Metabolic Screening Programme operations and the Governance Team have been clarified
- storage and use requirements for residual blood spot cards have been clearly defined, including the process required if the residual blood spot card is to be returned to individuals or family.
Key messages and questions and answers have been revised to support health practitioners in the provision of newborn metabolic screening services.
To view or download the Policy Framework or Key messages documents, please visit the Newborn Metabolic Quality Standards section of this site.
Page last updated: 08 September 2011